- Thursday, October 5th- Parent Teacher Conferences
- October 6th-Crazy Hair Day (Make a donation to hurricane relief fun to wear crazy hair)
- October 9-13th- Fall Break
- October 16-18th- Fund-Raiser at the Chicken Shack
- October 31st- Halloween Breakfast Parties
During Reader’s Workshop students are working on the following:
- We continue to build our stamina to be able to independently read for longer periods of time.
- Recording and sharing our thinking while reading
- We are continuing our Opinion Writing. During this unit students will be writing letters to share ideas about books (opinions). By the end of the unit students will be able to:
- Write about an opinion (likes or dislikes) and give reasons why
- Have a good beginning in which you state your opinion and set reader up to expect the writing to convince them
- Connect parts
- Have different parts, a lot of lines about each part
- Have at least two reasons
- Have an ending that reminds reader of your opinion
- Chose words that would make your reader agree with your opinion
- Conventions are a big emphasis in second grade as well:
- Capital at the beginning of each sentence
- Punctuation at the end of each sentence
We will be wrapping up our first Investigations Unit right after Fall Break. We will then begin Unit 2 Attributes of shapes and Parts of a Whole.
During this unit students will be focusing on the following:
- Identifying, describing, sorting, comparing and drawing 2-D and 3-D shapes.
- Learning vocabulary for shapes.
- Understanding equal parts of a whole.
- Partitioning shapes and using fraction vocabulary.
- Continuing with fluency within 20.
- Civics- Roles, Rights and Responsibilities of responsible community members.
- During this unit we described important characteristics of a responsible community member. We learned that people can express their ideas respectfully within a community. We also explored the idea that responsible community members influence the rules, policies, and laws in their communities (including classrooms).
- Your child has had several weeks of getting into our routine of Word Work and Spelling. Please continue to practice these words with your child (see yellow word study page in homework folder). The idea is that your child learns to identify the pattern (through sorting) but is also able to accurately spell the words as well. So far, the children are making good progress!