Anderson’s Daily Schedule
MWF Extra Recess
Daily Language Instruction (DLI)
Silent Clean Up
- November 7: No school, Election Day
- Thanksgiving Feast: Be on the lookout for more details to come!
- November 20-24: No school, Thanksgiving break
During Reader’s Workshop students are working on the following:
- We continue to build our stamina to be able to independently read for longer periods of time.
- Making connections
- Text to Self - “This reminds me of a time…”
- Text to Text - “This reminds me of a book…”
- Text to World - “This reminds me of something I saw when…”
- Schema - Background Knowledge
- As learners, we more readily understand new ideas and concepts when we connect them to what we already know. Students discuss and think about current schema that they have around different concepts or ideas in books. They are then able to better understand what they are reading and learning about!
- Monitoring comprehension
- Thoughtful readers recognize when they become distracted and when they are reading carefully.
- Students record thoughts and ideas as they read.
- Discovering small moments that matter-generating ideas
- Tiny Topics- using a notebook to remember topics for writing
- Stretching out small moments- learning to plan a story by touching each page and saying what they will write
- Writing a good beginning, middle and end
- Writing with detail: Magnifying a small moment
- Bringing characters to life by using talk, feel or actions
- Setting goals and making plans for writing time
- Using checklist to self assess and plan for next parts
- Close Reading: Looking closely at how mentor authors write and trying it
- Collaborate a partner to help make a story better (revise by listening)
- Word choice
- Revising and editing rough drafts
We are currently in Unit 2: Attributes of Shapes and Parts of a While
During this unit students will be focusing on the following:
- Identifying, describing, sorting, comparing and drawing 2-D and 3-D shapes.
- Learning vocabulary for shapes.
- Understanding equal parts of a whole.
- Partitioning shapes and using fraction vocabulary.
- Continuing with fluency within 20.
- Describing a rectangular array of tiles in terms of the number of rows, the number of tiles in each row, and / or the total number
Some math vocabulary we use in Unit 2:
- Right angle
- Arrays - rows, columns
- Fraction - and fraction related vocabulary (halves, thirds, fourths)
- Explain how weather and changing seasons impact people, animals, and plants
- Gather and analyze data on the weather in different locations and in different seasons
- Analyze the ways severe weather contributes to catastrophic events (floods, wild fires, etc.)
- Your child has had several weeks of getting into our routine of Word Work and Spelling. Please continue to practice these words with your child (see yellow word study page in homework folder). The idea is that your child learns to identify the pattern (through sorting) but is also able to accurately spell the words as well.